Friday 4 May 2012

Digital Sketch: Knight

I have been wanting to explore a bit more the use of shapes since I didn't know what they were, but looked useful. So I have been looking into first how to make them, and then how to use them. I have made about 10 of them, and I think I used all in the image you see here :) 

This is how I made them. I selected a black and white dirt image from a library, played with it, like motion blur it, added more texture from other images and so on. I then defined different shapes over this image and cut out the rest. With the shape in its final form, I went to Select Color range and took a few colour samples from the image. With the selection active, I went to the Paths tab, and click Make Work Path from Selection (one of the icons at the bottom of the Paths tab) and saved it (Edit -> Define Custom Shape).


I wanted to make a knight's helmet using these shapes. To make this knight, I have set down simple shadows and highlights as the base, and over it set all these shapes using different blending modes and shades. What you see here is what came out. I plan to do a few more of these using this set of shapes to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment